Friday, December 18, 2009

Who are you? I am the Multitude?


When walking today, from my apartment on Burnet Ave to my job on North Salina St - approximately 15 minutes or so - I counted the number of other walkers who I encountered, and came up with a whopping number of 15! Yes I am being sarcastic. At 9:00 am on a sunny Friday morning, albeit quite cold, i would expect to see more people outside going places, that indicates a healthy neighborhood to me.

Cause when it is warm outside you see more people in any case, people just hanging out on the sidewalks, playing outside, etc, but when it is cold out you know the people you encounter out on the streets and sidewalks are participating in some sort of engaged endeavor, thus the number of folks out would indicate more economic and social activity.

I was just thinking all this cause of the differences in my perceptions from this walk compared to the more dynamic walk I used to have from Westcott to the University. Tons of people out on the sidewalks going to do their thing, and I wondered if the lack on the Northside could be realistically taken as a deficit in community?

I want the multitude out with me, even when my breathe freezes as it escapes my mouth. What better time really?

No comments: