Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Frustrating, Strategies for the Future

After having a job at the university last year, as a student Teaching Assistant, in which I was able to do most of my work on campus, I now have a position that requires me to visit various sites around the city and beyond. How frustrating it is becoming to try and use my legs to get where I need to go. Just in the past week I have had appoitments in DeWitt, East Syracuse, and Turning Stone in Verona. These are realistically bikeable (except Verona) though the time required would prevent me from having that time available to me as productive work time in the office. So what is a person to do? Here are some thoughts I have on strategy for the future:

1. Schedule as many of these types of appointments as I can on a single day and link them together so that the driving route with my car is the most efficient one I can come up with. This will take quite a bit of planning on the front end, and won't always be possible depending on the schedules of my clients, but I can try my best.

2. Get very intimately acquainted with the CENTRO bus routes in the city. I don't have much experience riding the buses here in Syracuse, never needed to before as I relied on walking and bicycling mostly. I guess it's time to study the CENTRO website.

3. Take a step back from from attendance at numerous meetings and events that aren't 100% necessary. This sounds easy, but I do make many contacts and network quite a bit, so getting out and to these sorts of business and topical sessions are very valuable to me. I can at least give more critical thought to if I need to attend them or not for now.

Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas for these types of strategies? I'd love to share them on this here blog if ya do!

No comments: