Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Freedom to Discover

Although I love riding my bicycle, and I could easily get to work in 5 minutes with it (though I like the fact that 20 minutes walk gives me a better workout than 5 minutes of riding), it really is true that you see and discover more if you slow down, and in my case walk.

Take for instance this little patch of green space along N. Salina St. You could drive or bike past it every day, and unless you stopped, you wouldn't know it. But even if you are just walking by, you have enough time to absorb its essence and its purpose, and even scan the sign even if you don't stop to read the whole thing (which is what I did today).




Turns out that this route is part of "The Freedom Trail", yep that's what I discovered today. And it's all about Syracuse as the "Central Depot" of the Underground Railroad. More about the Freedom Trail can be found here: http://www.pacny.net/freedom_trail/

I think I'll stop and read the whole sign next time through :)

No comments: